Charity Set Up After RI Fire Has Had Modest Effect
King says the fund tried alerting families by sending a letter through families' lawyers, but many of the letters were returned. He says the fund was well-publicized, but in recent years, there has been a drop in applications. The group received eight requests for help in 2010, nine in 2011 and six in 2012, all of which were granted, King says. The group hasn't held a fundraiser since 2010.
"There comes a point where you have to slow down, because the applications are not coming in," he says.
Bowen says if the effort helps one student, it is worth it, and he believes the Derderians and King are sincere in wanting to help but lack experience.
"They really have very good intentions, but there's some naivetÃ© in this," Bowen says. "This is a steep mountain that they're trying to take responsibility for."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV