HOPKINTON, Mass., Feb. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) today announced that St. Dominic Hospital, a 535-bed acute care facility in Jackson, Mississippi, consolidated its legacy storage infrastructure onto EMC ® Isilon ® scale-out storage to manage its Big Data requirements. With EMC Isilon, St. Dominic's is enabling dramatically faster and more reliable access to medical images and patient records while supporting 20% annual data growth and ongoing expansion of the hospital.
- Improved Performance -- Time to retrieve medical images has decreased to less than one second as the result of St. Dominic's achieving a 1,000% increase in performance with EMC Isilon.
- Significant Cost Savings -- EMC Isilon's high performance, simplified administration and increased reliability saves St. Dominic's 50% annually on long-term storage costs.
- Simplified Administration -- St. Dominic's IT is able to spend less time on IT administration tasks, while maintaining 100% uptime and freeing time for projects that help improve organizational efficiency and patient care.
Customer Challenges and Solution:
St. Dominic Hospital's Big Data assets were growing at a rate of 20% annually due to advances in medical imaging technology, combined with the hospital's acquisition of a diagnostic imaging center, doctors' offices and the opening of health clinics. In addition, healthcare reform required greater use of electronic medical records (EMR), resulting in more information being captured in electronic patient charts. Aging PACS and EMR archiving platforms running on legacy storage could no longer scale to meet growth demands. For example, the hospital's prior NetApp solution, which housed home directories, departmental shares and several document management systems, lacked the performance to service data requests.After considering solutions from Dell, IBM, NetApp, Scale Computing and EMC, St. Dominic Hospital selected EMC Isilon, with the help of EMC Velocity™ Solution Provider Presidio, for its performance, scalability and ease of management. St. Dominic's Hospital consolidated its legacy storage environment onto EMC Isilon NL-Series in two replicated clusters. EMC Isilon supports the hospital's McKesson Horizon Patient Folder (HPF) EMR solution, as well as a vendor-neutral archive based on GE Centricity PACS, storing massive image files generated by CT-scans, 3D ultrasound, vascular studies, mammography, MRI and radiology. Nearly one-half billion HPF and PACS files reside on EMC Isilon, allowing St. Dominic's to take advantage of EMC Isilon's exponential performance growth as it scales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV