Compass Minerals (NYSE: CMP) reports the following results of its fourth-quarter 2012 operations:
- Net earnings for the quarter were $30.1 million, or $0.90 per diluted share, compared to $43.9 million, or $1.31 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Full-year net earnings were $88.9 million, or $2.65 per diluted share, compared to $149.0 million, or $4.45 per diluted share, in the prior year.
- These results include estimated losses in both 2012 and 2011 related to the effects of a tornado that struck the company’s salt operations in Goderich, Ontario, in August 2011, as well as CEO transition expenses in the fourth quarter of 2012. Excluding these special items, net earnings were $34.3 million, or $1.02 per diluted share, in the 2012 fourth quarter versus $55.3 million, or $1.65 per diluted share, in the 2011 quarter. For the full year, net earnings excluding special items were $104.4 million, or $3.11 per diluted share, in 2012 and $160.4 million, or $4.79 per diluted share, in 2011.
- Fourth-quarter sales decreased $39.0 million from the fourth quarter of 2011 to $267.1 million due to the effects of mild winter weather in North America that continued to limit deicing salt sales, partially offset by higher sales of specialty fertilizer products.
- Operating income was $42.2 million, down from $60.0 million in the prior-year period, primarily resulting from lower salt sales volumes and higher specialty fertilizer per-unit product costs.
- Cash flow from operations for 2012 was $151.7 million compared to $252.3 million in 2011.
“Strong and steady demand for Compass Minerals’ specialty fertilizer products has helped offset some of the short-term softness in the company’s salt business caused by the mild winter weather,” said Fran Malecha, Compass Minerals’ new president and CEO, who joined the company in mid-January. “I attribute this company’s strength and resilience to its great people and valuable assets. Those are the fundamentals for success in any business. I’m impressed by Compass Minerals’ potential and excited to be a part of its bright future.”
|Financial Results (in millions except per-share data)|
|Three months ended December 31,||Twelve months ended December 31,|
|Sales less shipping and handling (product sales)||206.3||227.2||703.8||811.9|
|Net earnings, excluding special items*||34.3||55.3||104.4||160.4|
|Diluted earnings per share||0.90||1.31||2.65||4.45|
|Diluted earnings per share, excluding special items*||1.02||1.65||3.11||4.79|
*These are non-GAAP financial measures. Reconciliations to GAAP measures of performance are provided in tables following this release.
SALT SEGMENTSalt segment sales declined to $206.7 million from $250.1 million in the 2011 quarter as demand for highway, consumer and commercial deicing products was curtailed by a combination of mild winter weather throughout much of North America and higher-than-typical customer inventories carried over from last winter. Demand for all other types of salt was substantially the same as in the 2011 quarter. Highway deicing sales volume declined 17 percent from the 2011 quarter while the business unit’s average selling price remained consistent year over year. Lower demand for consumer and commercial deicing products drove a 13 percent decline in consumer and industrial sales volume and generated an unfavorable product mix shift that decreased the business unit’s average selling price by 4 percent year over year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV