Research Validates New Biomarkers For Risk Assessment Of Acute Kidney Injury
WASHINGTON, Feb. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Two biomarkers used in combination can improve risk assessment of acute kidney injury (AKI), according to new research from an international multi-center study. AKI strikes up to seven percent of hospitalized patients and is associated with significant morbidity and mortality.
The results, published today in Critical Care, address one of the most costly and deadly conditions affecting critically ill hospitalized patients. The findings provide much needed insight into the most compelling biomarkers of acute kidney injury.
"If unchecked, AKI can lead to loss of kidney function in a patient, often resulting in lower quality of life or even death," said Dr. John Kellum, a critical care physician at UPMC. "The data show that two urinary biomarkers of AKI can tell a doctor if a patient is at risk of kidney injury."
The two-part study collected data on critically ill patients in North American and Europe.In the first part of the study, led by Dr. Kianoush Kashani of Mayo Clinic, researchers performed an exhaustive evaluation of nearly 340 biomarkers to define the two best biomarkers with the highest correlation to risk of acute kidney injury. In the second part of the study, led by Dr. John Kellum, a critical care physician at UPMC and Lakhmir Chawla, anesthesiologist at The GW Medical Faculty Associates and associate professor of Anesthesiology & Critical Care medicine and of Medicine at The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences, researchers from 35 medical centers validated the effectiveness of the two novel biomarkers in 740 critically ill patients and compared their performance with other biomarkers, including serum creatinine.
- The two novel biomarkers validated were Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 7 (IGFBP7) and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-2 (TIMP-2), both inducers of G1 cell cycle arrest, a key mechanism implicated in AKI.
- Together IGFBP7 and TIMP-2 demonstrated an AUC of .80 (0.76 and 0.79, respectively).
- Together IGFBP7 and TIMP-2 were superior to all commonly used markers of AKI (p<0.002), none of which achieved an AUC > 0.72.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV