Although the company has a relationship with Google -- Android powers the Kindle Fire -- I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon lined up with BlackBerry (BBRY). I don't see why Amazon would want to enter a new market while also placing itself at a disadvantage by helping a rival -- albeit (still) another partner.
Apple's IOS and Google's Android currently hold the top two spots in terms of market share. It makes sense for Amazon to try to "level the playing field" by raising the profile of a less-threatening rival such as BBRY. By doing this Amazon would potentially weaken the top two players while helping itself to a loyal base of BlackBerry enthusiasts.
Bezos is too smart to not realize this. That the stock surged after its earnings announcement suggests investors don't care AMZN missed EPS estimates. They continue to salivate over the company's top-line growth. It's hard to blame them at this point.
So far the company has answered several of its critics who have wondered if it can grow into its valuation. I was one of them. Now I regret not owning the stock as I waited for proof.At the time of publication the author had a position in AAPL. Follow @rsaintvilus This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV