Looking for stocks practically radiating with optimism? One great source for bullish stock ideas comes from sell side analyst ratings. When these bank analysts write a report on a company, and the analyst is reputable, it can have a big effect on the stock price. [More lists: Hedge Funds Are Buying 5 Technically Undervalued And Profitable Stocks]
With this in mind we ran a screen for stocks with "Buy" ratings from UBS (i.e. analysts at UBS expect these stocks to outperform).
Another great way to see how smart investors feel about a stock is to look at the collective trading activity of short sellers.We screened the "buy" rated stocks for those with bullish sentiment from short sellers, with significant short covering (decreases in shares shorted) month-over-month. Short sellers earn when share price falls, so a pullback suggest they believe the stock has more upside than downside to price in. Business Section: Investing Ideas We combine both bullish signals in making the list below. All 5 stocks that made the list have UBS buy ratings, which have been renewed in the past year, and significant short covering activity month-over-month. Also of note, analysts on average have a “buy” rating for the stocks on the list. The chart is interactive, press play to see how these ratings have changed over time. Click through to access more research tools. Use this list as a starting point for your own analysis. 1. Abercrombie & Fitch Co. ( ANF): Operates as a specialty retailer of casual apparel for men, women, and kids. Market cap at $3.99B, most recent closing price at $50.19. On 05/01/2012, UBS had a Buy rating on the stock. Shares shorted have decreased from 7.29M to 6.22M over the last month, a decrease which represents about 1.46% of the company's float of 73.19M shares. Days to cover ratio at 1.99 days.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV