Bentley University Launches Ground-Breaking Career Development Course For Freshmen
WALTHAM, Mass., Feb. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Nearly 90 percent of Bentley University freshman are getting a head start on job searching with the launch of a ground-breaking career development course. The first of its kind among colleges and universities, Career Development Introduction (CDI) 101 — provides first year students with a comprehensive career toolkit and the opportunity to do mock interviews and elevator pitches in front of corporate recruiters.
The goal is twofold: to prevent students from falling through the cracks during their four year college experience; and to pioneer a new kind of career education.
"For every one student who is a career go-getter during freshman year, there will be two who will wait until junior or senior year," says Alyssa Hammond, senior associate director of Bentley's Undergraduate Career Services. "This course makes their lives easier by getting to them right out of the gate to avoid the last minute rush."
The course is not required, but is strongly encouraged. Successful completion provides a non-academic credit and appears on students' transcripts. It also opens the door for a one-credit internship course.The program is designed and taught by Bentley career advisers in partnership with business professionals from top companies like KPMG and TJX Corporation. Lecture and lab components for each class cover:
- Personal and professional goal development
- Interactive lab sessions on resume and cover letter writing and interviewing skills
- Networking and social media
- Internship preparation and professionalism
- Four-year timeline (Bentley's HIRE Education career path)
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts