HanesBrands (NYSE: HBI), a leading marketer of everyday branded basic apparel, today reported growth in net sales and adjusted earnings per diluted share for its fourth quarter and fiscal year ended Dec. 29, 2012. (Unless noted, all performance measures are from continuing operations. See discontinued operations section in this press release.)
Net sales increased 5 percent to $1.15 billion in the fourth quarter compared with the year-ago quarter and increased 2 percent to $4.53 billion for the full fiscal year. Full-year sales increased 4 percent excluding the managed decline in the branded printwear division and the decline in a large mid-tier retailer undergoing a strategic shift.
Fourth-quarter adjusted EPS more than doubled to $1.07, excluding bond prepayment expenses that reduced EPS by $0.30. Each of the company’s business segments reported at least double-digit operating profit growth in the quarter. Full-year adjusted EPS increased 7 percent to $2.62. The Innerwear segment was the strongest contributor to full-year results, delivering 18 percent growth in operating profit.
The company also generated $508 million of free cash flow in the year and prepaid $550 million of long-term bonds. The company ended the year with long-term debt of approximately 2.5 times adjusted EBITDA.“By reducing bond debt by $750 million over the past 13 months, we have ended our era of high debt leverage, and the momentum of strong results in the back half of 2012 positions us well for continued profit growth in 2013,” Hanes Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard A. Noll said. 2012 Financial Highlights and Business Segment Summary Key accomplishments for 2012 include:
- Record Free Cash Flow. Solid performance and a focus on reducing inventory resulted in record free cash flow of $508 million in 2012. Year-end inventories improved to $1.25 billion, a decline of $354 million from $1.61 billion a year earlier.
- Deleveraged Balance Sheet. The company significantly reduced its debt and no longer considers itself highly leveraged. Hanes prepaid $550 million in long-term bonds in 2012 and $750 million over the past five quarters. The company’s year-end long-term debt ratio was approximately 2.5 times adjusted EBITDA.
- Successful Exit from Underperforming Businesses. The company successfully undertook an effort to reduce risk in its business and create more consistent results by quickly exiting its European imagewear screen-print business and reorganizing its domestic screen-print channel business as branded printwear focusing on higher-margin branded Hanes and Champion products.
- Return of Earnings Power. The company generated record profitability in the second half, with sales growth of 4 percent, an operating profit margin of 13 percent, and adjusted EPS growth of 75 percent. The company successfully managed through significant cotton inflation and returned to performance in the second half that reflects the company’s earnings potential for 2013 and beyond.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV