NEW YORK, Feb. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- North & Webster, LLC ("North & Webster") issued a statement today expressing its disappointment with the Board of Directors of CSP Inc. (NasdaqGM: CSPI) ("CSP" or the "Company") for its apparent attempt to paint a rosier picture than reality of CSP's Fiscal 2012 fourth quarter results in a letter sent to the Company's stockholders on February 4, 2013. In the letter, CSP claims to have achieved $4.9 million in fourth quarter net income, but North & Webster believes these numbers do not hold up to scrutiny when you consider that:
- $2.6 million, or more than half, of this $4.9 million number was merely the non-cash write-up of a deferred tax asset, not actual earned income, and is thus misleading for the Company to use in its attempt to boost management's performance and credibility;
- $1.1 million of this $4.9 million came directly from life insurance proceeds, as stated by CFO Gary Levine on the December 13, 2012 earnings conference call; and
- North & Webster estimates that at least $1.34 million of this $4.9 million came from "stuffing the channel" as the Company freely admitted in a December 13, 2012 press release where President and Chief Executive Officer, Victor Dellovo, stated, "Looking ahead, we expect that the recording of royalties for nine E-2D planes in 2012 versus only five that we had expected for fiscal 2012 will create a difficult year-over-year comparison in fiscal 2013." The Company booked revenues from nine planes in 2012, and two in the 4 th quarter.
North & Webster estimates that the real income number for the 4 th quarter was more like a loss of $140,000 and earnings for the full Fiscal 2012 were more like $1.1 million. To throw more salt on stockholder wounds, the CSP Board granted management approximately $1,314,693 in bonuses (ranging from 150-367% of targeted bonuses) based on what North & Webster believes were inflated numbers. These Board-approved bonuses doubled management's yearly compensation.
North & Webster would also like to correct the misleading statements by CSP about our practices. North & Webster has run three proxy contests and has successfully achieved board representation and pro-shareholder change in all three situations. These statements about us are a continuation of CSP's strategy to mislead stockholders and distract from the long history of poor performance at the Company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV