AF&PA Board Establishes 2013 Key Policy Initiatives
Federal advocacy continues in eight high-priority areas
WASHINGTON, Feb. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The American Forest & Paper Association's (AF&PA) board of directors formally established the association's key policy initiatives for 2013 at its recent meeting in Washington.
- Working with members and other sustainability thought leaders to achieve industry goals to increase paper recovery for recycling, increase energy efficiency, reduce greenhouse gases, promote sustainable forestry, improve workplace safety, and reduce water use.
- Working with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), lawmakers, and other stakeholders to support development of practical and sustainable air regulations.
- Working with EPA and others to allow renewable biomass residuals to be recognized as a carbon-neutral fuel source in greenhouse gas regulations.
- Promoting access to paper-based communication options for government programs such as Social Security, the Internal Revenue Service, savings bonds, and educational resources to ensure that the 30 percent of Americans without Internet access can still access these vital public programs.
- Advocating for inclusion of industry products in the U.S. Department of Agriculture's BioPreferred program. Paper and wood products are among the most biobased products available to consumers and should be part of government procurement and voluntary labeling initiatives.
- Urging Congress to return fiscal viability to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) through comprehensive postal reform that supports long-term cost reductions, allows new revenue sources, and relieves USPS of unfair financial obligations while satisfying the nation's service needs.
- Supporting policies that promote voluntary and market-based paper recycling programs.
- Ensuring that tax changes improve the U.S. economy, U.S. job opportunities, and the competitiveness of U.S.-based businesses without resulting in tax increases that would harm economic growth and job creation.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts