Coins, which will launch in May, are for users of Amazon's Kindle Fire tablets. The idea's that Fire owners will use these new "Coins" to buy apps, games and other in-app items on their devices.
Amazon says that when the new currency launches it will be giving away millions of Coins to get things started. That way, Fire users can begin using the new currency immediately.
App developers are being asked to make the appropriate changes to their software by April 25 to make sure Coins are usable at launch.What Amazon has not yet explained is the process of changing U.S. dollars into Amazon Coins. According to the press release, "Amazon will also make it quick and easy for customers to buy additional Amazon Coins using their Amazon accounts." But the release is short on actual details. Amazon assures developers that they'll continue to receive their "70% revenue share" for their apps whether buyers use credit cards or the new Coins. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV