Governor Corbett Calls For Four-Year, $1 Billion Investment In Schools
2013-14 Education Budget Increases Funding $338 Million; Invests in Rigorous, Student-Focused Initiatives
HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Tom Corbett today unveiled his 2013-14 state budget that invests an additional $338.1 million into education and ensures that schools provide student-focused educational programs.
In total, $11.7 billion, or 41 percent, of the state's General Fund budget is slated for early, basic and higher education and public libraries.
"Governor Corbett has proposed to invest a historic level of funding into public education to ensure that students are offered high-quality academic programs," Secretary of Education Ron Tomalis said."Since education is the foundation of the state's economy, Pennsylvania's students deserve to have access to quality programs that will ensure their success in the future. The appropriate skills and academic credentials will afford our students the opportunity to remain competitive in a global economy." Corbett's 2013-14 state budget would increase the Basic Education Funding line item by $90 million, or 1.7 percent, to $5.5 billion – the highest investment in state history. This increase will be allocated through a student-focused supplement, which will be based on a school district's average daily membership and state aid ratio. The governor also renewed his call to privatize the state's wine and spirit stores and investing the proceeds, estimated at $1 billion, into K-12 education. These funds would be directed into a four-year Passport for Learning Block Grant. Pennsylvania's school districts would share the grant funds to invest in four, student-focused, initiatives including: school safety, "Ready by 3," individualized learning programs, and science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) programs.
- School safety is a key component to student success in school. In January, Corbett met with school superintendents, teachers and security personnel to listen to their thoughts about and suggestions for improving school safety. With a variety of needs across the state, Corbett believes that each district should determine where investments should be made. Funds could be used for school safety and security efforts, including training for employees, enhanced security measures and partnerships with local law enforcement.
- "Ready by 3" is an initiative the governor believes is critical to a solid academic foundation early in a student's education. The focus is to ensure that students are performing at grade level by third grade, based on the Pennsylvania Common Core Academic Standards. Schools could invest in quality kindergarten programs and enrichment programs that promote academic achievement in elementary reading and math.
- Recognizing that students learn differently and at their own pace, Corbett's proposal includes an initiative for a self-paced, customized learning plan that would be based on a student's proficiency in academic standards. Schools could use grant funds to finance start-up costs to implement Competency-Based Education programs that move away from seat-time requirements to a model that is based on a student's mastery of specific course content.
- Enhancing access to STEM course work and programs is critical to preparing today's students for the jobs of tomorrow. Public schools could invest in programs that support STEM in grades 6-12, including career exploration activities, opportunities for technical skill attainment and partnerships with postsecondary education and training programs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV