Pioneering Brain Surgeon Brings Exciting New Option To Parkinson's Disease Patients
LOS ANGELES, Feb. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- One of the first known surgeons to offer Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) as an outpatient treatment, Christopher Duma, MD, FACS, is bringing a new option and hope to the estimated 60,000 Americans diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease every year. The pioneering brain surgeon, who has successfully controlled tremors in thousands of movement disorder patients, is now performing his minimally invasive implantations at DISC Surgery Center at Newport Beach. Patients can literally walk in, have the surgery and be home in time for dinner, with their quality of life improved exponentially. DISC's outpatient setting also means individualized attention, fewer complications and a dramatically reduced risk of infection.
With a marked improvement in 90% of cases, DBS is delivered by an implant that conducts a fine electrical impulse to particular parts of the brain. Wires are implanted in the brain and are connected to a device under the skin near the collar bone that regulates a continuous current. Despite being called 'stimulation' DBS actually shuts down areas of the brain that are causing the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease. Unlike medications that tend to have negative side effects over time, DBS has a positive record for minimal side effects, with most issues being corrected by turning off or adjusting stimulation levels.
"The ability to bring Deep Brain Stimulation to patients in an innovative outpatient setting like DISC is not only the natural progression of the technology, but also a safer, less daunting and more efficient option," said Duma in making the announcement. "I am already gratified every time I get the opportunity to stop symptoms in a Parkinson's patient. To do so with even less disruption of life, and such a high quality of care, is very exciting."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV