NORWALK, Conn., Feb. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Diageo, Norwalk's largest employer, today began using power from 100 percent renewable sources at its North American headquarters on Main Avenue. "By purchasing electricity derived from renewable sources, like wind or solar power, we will reduce our carbon emissions in Norwalk by more than 92 percent," said Diageo North America President Larry Schwartz.
In a ceremony at the company headquarters, Schwartz, Mayor Richard Moccia, and employees celebrated the milestone with a ribbon-cutting and "green" champagne toast.
Diageo's Norwalk office joins three of the company's other sites, including Plainfield, IL, Relay, MD and Tullahoma, TN in using 100 percent renewable electricity. In addition, 50 percent of all the electricity Diageo uses globally now comes from low-carbon sources.
Norwalk Mayor Richard A. Moccia commented, "As a global company with its North American headquarters in Norwalk, Diageo helps set the tone for the local business community. We are lucky that Diageo is an environmental steward, and is raising the bar for the rest of us."In addition to converting to renewable energy sources in its offices, the company is using other approaches, including the generation of renewable energy at its production sites using by-products; purchasing carbon offsets for its fleet of commercial vehicles; and significant improvements in energy efficiency across all of its operations. Diageo North America has also made good progress on reducing water usage and waste to landfill, especially across its significant manufacturing network. "This transition is just one of many positive changes Diageo has made in the last five years to deliver significant and sustainable improvements on our environmental impact," said Schwartz. "Diageo has a strong track record as a leader in corporate social responsibility and that is true when it comes to reducing our impact on the environment."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV