Earnings Preview: Philip Morris Int'l
Philip Morris International also bought Philippines company Fortune Tobacco Co. in February 2010, bolstering its Asian business.
Swings in currency markets are also having an effect. Last quarter, the company narrowed its earnings guidance for the year because of unfavorable foreign currency exchange rates.
When the U.S. dollar is rising against the world's other currencies, companies that sell goods internationally take a hit when converting revenue in foreign currencies back into the dollar. That effect is particularly strong for Philip Morris International, because it does all its business overseas.
WHY IT MATTERS: Philip Morris International, with offices in New York and in Lausanne, Switzerland, is the world's second-biggest cigarette company after state-controlled China National Tobacco Corp.Richmond, Va.,-based Altria Group Inc., the owner of Philip Morris USA, spun off Philip Morris International in 2008. Altria is the largest U.S. cigarette seller. WHAT'S EXPECTED: Analysts on average expect Philip Morris International to report adjusted earnings of $1.22 per share on revenue of $8.03 billion, according to FactSet. Analysts typically exclude one-time items. LAST YEAR'S QUARTER: Philip Morris International reported adjusted net income of $1.01per share on revenue of $7.67 billion, excluding excise taxes. ___ Michael Felberbaum can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/MLFelberbaum.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV