SEOUL, South Korea and PARIS, Feb. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and SK Broadband – a subsidiary of SK Telecom, one of South Korea's largest broadband service providers – announced the selection of Alcatel-Lucent to build South Korea's first packet transport network dedicated to meeting the high-bandwidth data needs of enterprises throughout the country.
SK Broadband's existing transport network based on the MSPP (Multi Service Provisioning Platform) technology was designed primarily to transmit legacy TDM (Time Division Multiplexing) traffic. Using Alcatel-Lucent's Packet Transport Network (PTN) solution, SK Broadband will be creating a new network to transport increasing data traffic.
- SK Broadband will deploy Alcatel-Lucent's 1850 Transport Service Switch managed by its 1350 Optical Management Suite (OMS).
- Packet Transport Network solution enables SK Broadband to smoothly migrate the existing circuit switched network.
- Enterprises will benefit from dedicated Carrier Ethernet network designed specifically to meet the high-bandwidth needs of current and future business applications.
- PTN network will help SK Broadband create a variety of new business services/applications for business customers.
- Korea, already one of the most connected societies in the world, will enjoy even more advanced business services with superfast data transport network.
- SK Telecom deployed Alcatel-Lucent's PTN solution, which now serves as heart of its LTE network.
Quotes:DongBum Shin, Head of Network Planning Headquarter of SK Broadband, said: "As traffic from enterprise customers is changing rapidly to data, we need to have network ready and optimized to accommodate those business Ethernet services. We expect that Alcatel-Lucent's Packet Transport Network solution enables us to accelerate our business-to-business growth and prepare for mid-long term network migration to all-IP." Rajeev Singh-Molares, President of Alcatel-Lucent Asia Pacific region, said: "Enterprise Networking requirements in Korea are growing in complexity and bandwidth levels, and the underlying applications having increasingly stringent performance needs. Our new packet transport network serves as a key showcase demonstrating our commitment to SK Broadband's efforts to support the growing business-to-business data needs through a proven optic solution." About SK Broadband SK Broadband, a subsidiary of SK Telecom, is one of largest broadband service providers in Korea. The company provides traditional phone service and broadband connections to residential and business customers throughout the country. The services include leased line and network security services for businesses, IPTV, and video-on-demand programming. Another subsidiary, Broadband TS, provides telemarketing services for businesses. For more information, visit SK Broadband's website at www.skbroadband.com. ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU) The long-trusted partner of service providers, enterprises and governments around the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a leading innovator in the field of networking and communications technology, products and services. The company is home to Bell Labs, one of the world's foremost research centers, responsible for breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent was named one of MIT Technology Review's 2012 Top 50 list of the "World's Most Innovative Companies" for breakthroughs such as lightRadio™, which cuts power consumption and operating costs on wireless networks while delivering lightning fast Internet access. Through such innovations, Alcatel-Lucent is making communications more sustainable, more affordable and more accessible as we pursue our mission - Realizing the Potential of a Connected World. With operations in more than 130 countries and one of the most experienced global services organizations in the industry, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with global reach. The Company achieved revenues of Euro 15.3 billion in 2011 and is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris. For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent. SOURCE Alcatel-Lucent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV