That's why, while provocative and not completely outlandish, I can't get with the idea that Microsoft (MSFT), Google (GOOG) or Apple (AAPL) would buy Netflix simply to make Amazon spend more money. They all likely have more respect for Jeff Bezos as competition than that.
However, I can sing along with the idea that Amazon likes having Netflix around. I never considered it from that perspective. But it makes good sense: Sometimes it is in your own best interest to have a weaker competitor / partner to maintain that balanced eco-system. I dig.
I'm not sure if Bezos views the situation that way, but, stepping back a bit, there's no question that he, like Jeff Bewkes at Time Warner (TWX), sees Netflix as nothing but an overconfident chew toy.Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV