Confirms Fiscal 2013 Revenue and EPS Guidance
R evenues Rise 7%, 6% Organic
EPS From Continuing Operations Declined 5%, Increased 7% Excluding Prior Year GainROSELAND, N.J., Feb. 5, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- ADP ® (Nasdaq:ADP) reported revenue growth of 7%, 6% organic, to $2.7 billion for the second fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2012, Carlos Rodriguez, president and chief executive officer, announced today. The second quarter of fiscal 2012 included a pretax gain of $66 million, $41 million after tax, on a sale of assets. As reported, including the gain, pretax earnings from continuing operations decreased 8% and pretax margin declined 320 basis points. Net earnings from continuing operations decreased 6% and diluted earnings per share from continuing operations of $0.72 decreased 5% from $0.76 a year ago on fewer shares outstanding. Excluding the prior year gain, pretax earnings from continuing operations increased 4%, pretax margin declined 60 basis points, net earnings from continuing operations increased 6%, and diluted earnings per share from continuing operations of $0.72 increased 7% from $0.67 a year ago. Fiscal year-to-date through February 1, 2013 ADP acquired 5.9 million shares of its stock for treasury at a cost of $341 million. Cash and marketable securities were $1.5 billion at December 31, 2012. Second Quarter Discussion Commenting on the results, Mr. Rodriguez said, "I am pleased with ADP's second quarter results. Our business segments performed well driving solid revenue growth and pretax margin expansion. Combined worldwide new business bookings for Employer Services and PEO Services grew 5%. With 9% growth in new business bookings through the first half of the fiscal year, we are on track to achieve our full year outlook of 8% to 10% growth. "Previously communicated challenges and tough comparisons we faced heading into the quarter affected the company's results, including:
- The gain on a sale of assets in the prior year second quarter negatively impacted growth in pretax earnings from continuing operations 12%, pretax margin 260 basis points, and diluted earnings per share from continuing operations $0.08, or 12%.
- Unfavorable foreign exchange rates negatively impacted revenue growth 0.5% with minimal impact on earnings.
- The decline in high-margin interest revenues due to the lower average yield on client funds balances negatively impacted revenue growth 1%, partially offset by growth in average client funds balances. The client funds extended investment strategy, which is primarily driven by interest on client funds, negatively impacted growth in pretax earnings from continuing operations 4%, pretax margin 110 basis points, and diluted earnings per share from continuing operations $0.03, or 4%.
- Foregone revenues and earnings related to the fiscal 2012 second quarter sale of assets and the expiration of certain employment tax credits within our Tax Credit Services business negatively impacted revenue growth 1%, growth in pretax earnings from continuing operations 2%, pretax margin 30 basis points, and diluted earnings per share nearly $0.02, or 3%.
- Fiscal 2012 acquisitions contributed 1% to total revenue growth and negatively impacted pretax margins 20 basis points with minimal impact on earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV