Fattah Introduces Legislation To Rename VA Medical Center After Philadelphia War Hero
WASHINGTON, Feb. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Congressman Chaka Fattah (D-PA-02) introduced legislation today to rename the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center on Woodland Avenue as the "Corporal Michael J. Crescenz Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center."
A 1966 graduate of Cardinal Dougherty High School, Corporal Crescenz was a Vietnam War hero and the only Philadelphian to receive the Medal of Honor for service in that war. He was honored posthumously for his bravery in Hiep Duc Valley on November 20, 1968. The Medal was presented to his parents by President Richard Nixon during a White House ceremony in April 1970.
Joining Fattah as original co-sponsors of the legislation are Representatives Robert Brady (D-PA-01) and Allyson Schwartz (D-PA-13).According to the Medal of Honor citation the 19-year-old corporal "… distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving as a rifleman… Cpl. Crescenz left the relative safety of his own position, seized a nearby machine gun and, with complete disregard for his safety, charged 100 meters up a slope toward the enemy's bunkers which he effectively silenced . . . As a direct result of his heroic actions, his company was able to maneuver freely with minimal danger and to complete its mission, defeating the enemy... Cpl. Crescenz's bravery and extraordinary heroism at the cost of his life are in the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army." Congressman Fattah said, "There is no greater sacrifice than to lay down your life in service to your country. The renaming of this facility recognizes and honors the ultimate sacrifice of Corporal Crescenz and the thousands of men and women who put their lives on the line every day for our freedom."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV