Ohio Gov Proposes Income Tax Cut, Hikes Elsewhere
The governor has also opted to support expansion of Medicaid under the federal health care law, providing health care coverage to potentially half a million uninsured Ohioans. He said he still opposes the health care mandate aspect of President Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act, but he predicted funding chaos especially for small-city hospitals by rejecting the expansion offer contained in the law.
"It's an important point to make that we're recapturing something for a very useful purpose that we think in the end will allow Ohio to move forward," Kasich said.
He called it "the right decision for Ohio," and said it's important that the state send money to those most in need.
"Many of our mentally ill are in our jails today, because they received no care, or living under a bridge," he said. "It's not acceptable in a big state like Ohio."Kasich campaigned in 2010 on a pledge to reduce Ohio's income tax, and he delivered on the promise with Monday's proposal. To fund the cut, he's resurrecting a proposal to increase Ohio's severance tax on large-volume oil and gas drillers in what the administration says is a "fair, equitable and competitive" change. Their plan eliminates the tax altogether on small oil and gas producers. "What this proposal does is it aligns the tax code with the realities of the economy," state Tax Commissioner Joe Testa said. The Legislature failed to act on the oil and gas proposal last session, after pushback from oil and gas producers, local communities enjoying the bounty of the energy exploration boom, and some tea party groups opposed on principle to tax increases. ___ Office of Management and Budget: http://obm.ohio.gov
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV