NC Worker Allies Trying To Stop Unemployment Bill
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) â¿¿ North Carolina workers and their advocates are trying to slow an unemployment insurance overhaul bill that's on the fast track at the General Assembly, saying the plan would be cruel to the jobless and their families.
The AFL-CIO, N.C. Justice Center and other groups held a news conference hours before the state House was slated Monday evening to debate the package that would cut benefits and raise business taxes.
The $2.6 billion the state owes the federal government would be repaid three years faster. Maximum weekly benefits also would fall by one-third to $350.
The event included a video of union workers who've been laid off recently and said they wouldn't have survived with the lower benefits.The Legislative Black Caucus scheduled a news conference voicing its opposition later Monday
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV