Speakers Highlight Proton Therapy Treatment For Cancer
HAMPTON, Va., Feb. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- On Tuesday, Feb. 5, at NASA's Langley Research Center here, medical physicist Cornel Butuceanu will present, "Proton Radiotherapy Systems and Clinical Practice," at 2 p.m. in the Reid Conference Center.
A former postdoctoral fellow at the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility, Butuceanu joined the Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute (HUPTI) in 2009 and participated in all aspects of bringing the center to clinical readiness. The $225 million treatment and research center expects to see over 2,000 patients per year for prostate, brain, lung, pediatric, head and neck, breast and other cancers.
Butuceanu will be available to answer questions from the media during a news briefing at 1:15 p.m. that day. Media who wish to do so should contact Chris Rink at 757-864-6786, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, by noon on the day of the talk for credentials and entry to the Center.That same evening at 7:30, Keith Gregory, deputy executive director at HUPTI, will present a related presentation for the general public at the Virginia Air & Space Center in downtown Hampton. This Sigma Series event is free and no reservations are required. As cancer remains the second leading cause of death in the United States according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, HUPTI is the first proton therapy institute in the Mid-Atlantic region, and the only facility of its kind in Virginia. Butuceanu's presentation will focus on an introduction to proton therapy; it's medical advantages over current treatments; the evolution of the accelerators and beam delivery systems; cost effectiveness; applications to clinical radiation oncology; and the future outlook for proton therapy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV