With a gain of 6%, we all recognize that January 2013 was a great month for stocks. In fact, it was the best January in nearly 20 years.At the same time, however, the record shows that when outsized January gains are achieved, in five of the seven years (1971, 1975, 1976, 1987, 1994, 1997 and 2011) the stock market peaked in the first half of the year -- in three years, the market peaked by April -- and four of the seven years ended lower than the January high and another ended flat. (The positive observation is that there were no large drawdown years, though there was a mighty selloff during the crash of 1987.)
Kass: The Big Picture Remains Cloudy
Feb 05, 2013 | 06:00 AM EST
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV