Updated from 11:14 a.m. ET with additional reporting from ZDNet and a tweet from Netseer.
The origin of this warning appears rooted with Netseer, a Santa Clara company providing contextual ad targeting solutions.
"All sites using DoubleClick (aka Google AdSense) ads may cause malware warnings in Chrome if a NetSeer ad is rendered," reads one tweet by Neal Gompa, a software engineering student.Netseer has responded to this issue via its Twitter account, tweeting "False alarm on netseer adserving. Issue resolved with Google. back to normal. Will issue an official statement soon." According to a report by ZDNet:
A NetSeer spokesperson confirmed that its corporate network had been infected with malware, and Google subsequently added its domain to a list of malware-affected Websites. Because NetSeer's corporate site has the same domain name as its advertising network, Google triggered warnings on end-user machines warning users to avoid any Web page that happened to include an ad served from NetSeer's servers...
"Our operations team went into all-hands-on-deck mode and we have successfully cleaned the site of the malware issue. We are also working with Google to do an expedited review of the site and remove the site from the malware impacted site-list so that browsing behavior can be restored for all users," a NetSeer spokesperson said.Publishers affected by today's malware incident should contact email@example.com to help resolve their issue, according to a follow-up tweet by Netseer. A spokesperson for Google offered a blog post about safe browsing for consumers and a help page for webmasters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV