BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- With the first full trading week of February kicking off this morning, we're about to find out if last year's pattern of "new month, new market" is still going to hold true in 2013.
Stocks are starting off this morning's trading session in correction mode, not an altogether bad thing given the 1% hurdle higher in all three of the big indices. All told, the S&P 500 rallied 5% in January, giving equities an annualized gain of 60% if they kept that pace for the whole year.
No, a little correction isn't such a bad thing after all right now.But just how long it lasts is another question. With considerable data coming out this week, Mr. Market could get snapped out of his sideways pause sooner rather than later. With the S&P 500 now just 3.3% of a new all-time high, the significance of another upward push is even bigger. That's why we're taking a look at five new Rocket Stock names this week. >>5 Stocks Under $10 Set to Soar Higher For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 186 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 75.17%. Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks. >>4 Big Stocks to Buy in February -- and One to Sell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV