Nonprofit Finance Fund Report: Economic Recovery Calls On Small Nonprofits
Front-line Organizations Poised to Drive Community Revitalization
PHILADELPHIA, Feb. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Nonprofit Finance Fund ( www.nonprofitfinancefund.org) today released a report on the critical role small nonprofits can play in aiding economic recovery – if they have the right financial and strategic support.
" Small Nonprofits Solving Big Problems" draws on Nonprofit Finance Fund's 30 years of experience providing loans and strategic consulting services to nonprofits of all sizes. It also shares specific examples based on NFF's recent work in Philadelphia through the Capital and Capacity for Economic Recovery (CCER) program. CCER offered grants and consulting solutions for 22 Philadelphia-area nonprofits that provide job training services and other forms of economic development in the region.
"Nonprofits like us can rarely access or afford services like those offered through CCER," said Dr. Robert Emberger, Executive Director of Whosoever Gospel Mission, a program participant. "The insight we gained about how to financially support and grow our mission work will have lasting value to our organization and the community."CCER helped participating nonprofits address core organizational challenges, with the end goal of improving the services they offer to their clients. Nonprofits – and small nonprofits in particular – often have trouble securing this kind of money and support, because many funders focus on paying for program delivery and do not want to pay for "overhead." NFF's report includes concrete guidance for funders who want to help their communities by building stronger local nonprofits, such as:
- Fund important capacity needs, which include things like financial reporting systems, development staff, and improved technology.
- Embrace the idea that nonprofits should have surpluses, and don't penalize them or automatically reduce funding if they do.
- Fund what already works, rather than only offering funds for new or innovative approaches—especially when funding small, local organizations that have already identified and are filling a real need in their community.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts