Ludington State Park Structure, Downtown Iron Mountain Among Recommended Properties
LANSING, Mich., Feb. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The State Historic Preservation Review Board approved the nomination of six properties to the National Register of Historic Places at its January 25 meeting, including the Lake Michigan Beach House at Ludington State Park and the Iron Mountain Central Historic District.
"The nomination of historic buildings to the National Register of Historic Places draws attention to structures located in our downtowns, small towns and our state parks," said State Historic Preservation Officer Brian Conway. "The variety of historic sites listed in the register represents the diversity of historic architecture throughout Michigan. These buildings make our communities – and our state as a whole – unique."The review board nominated the following resources to the national register:
- The Lake Michigan Beach House at Ludington State Park near Ludington was built by the local Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Ludington-Pere Marquette SP-2 in 1935, using bricks reportedly salvaged from an old salt plant located in Ludington with pressed mortar style of construction. This style of construction has not been found at any other state park in Michigan. Ludington State Park is significant among the Michigan state parks due to the extensive role that the Civilian Conservation Corps played in its development. The arrival of the CCC in 1933 began the development at this state park and continued until the corps was disbanded in 1941. A number of buildings designed by Ralph B. Herrick and park improvements constructed by CCC Camp Ludington-Pere Marquette SP-2 still exist today. The Lake Michigan Beach House is the largest and most intact of the CCC-built structures in the park.
- The expansive Iron Mountain Central Historic District, which encompasses Iron Mountain's downtown and adjacent historic school and church buildings. The district contains 150 historic resources in all. These date mostly from the early 1880s to the mid-1960s, but include 12 newer buildings. Landmark buildings include the 1896 Dickinson County Courthouse building; Late Victorian commercial blocks built with walls of local, red, Iron Mountain sandstone; Neoclassical and Art Deco former bank buildings; a Mission Revival-influenced commercial building; a Neoclassical movie theater; large Late Victorian, Neo-Gothic, and Arts-and-Crafts-influenced churches; and Neoclassical and Art Deco schools.
- Norwegian Lutheran Church Complex, 10430 S. Leer Rd., Leer, Long Rapids Township, Alpena County
- The Wright Opera House Block Complex, 101-113 E. Superior St., and 408 N. State St., Alma, Gratiot County
- The Lower Trout Lake Bathhouse Complex and Contact Station at Bald Mountain Recreation Area, 800 W. M-116, near Lake Orion, Oakland County, and the
- The Emanuel and Elizabeth (Burkhardt) Rentschler Farmstead, 1265 E. Michigan Ave., Saline, Washtenaw County.