ST. LOUIS , Feb. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Peabody Energy Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gregory H. Boyce commented this evening that the disruption in New Orleans offered a convincing visual demonstration to counter those who have envisioned a world without coal.
"Coal is the world's fastest growing major fuel and provides more electricity than any other energy source," said Boyce. "Without coal, you might as well turn off half the lights not just for our favorite games but also for our cities, shops, factories and homes."
While some have unrealistically called for a phasing out of coal-fueled electricity, Boyce noted that such projections ignore the fact that coal fuels the world's best economies and is projected to become the world's largest energy source as early as this year.Boyce has advanced The Peabody Plan, which would:
- Eliminate energy poverty by ensuring that half of all new generation is fueled by coal;
- Replace older coal plants with advanced new technologies;
- Develop at least 100 major carbon capture, use and sequestration projects around the world;
- Develop significant coal-to-gas, coal-to-chemicals and coal-to-liquids projects globally in the next decade; and
- Commercialize the next generation of technologies to achieve near-zero emissions.
CONTACT: Vic Svec 314-342-7768SOURCE Peabody Energy
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV