St. Jude Medical, Inc. (NYSE:STJ), a global medical device company, today announced the first patient implant of its 25 mm Portico™ Transcatheter Aortic Heart Valve using the Transfemoral Delivery System in its ongoing European trial. The Portico valve system offers a minimally invasive treatment option for patients with severe aortic stenosis – a narrowing of the aortic valve that obstructs blood flow from the heart.
The Portico Trans femoral European Trial (Portico TF EU Trial) was established to evaluate the 23 mm Portico valve, which recently received European approval, and has been expanded to include the 25 mm Portico™ valve.
A non-randomized, multi-center study, the Portico TF EU Trial will evaluate the safety and performance of the Portico 25 mm transcatheter heart valve in patients with severe aortic stenosis. The trial will enroll up to 50 patients across Europe. Data from the study will be used to support CE Mark approval.
Expanding the Portico TF EU trial to include the 25 mm Portico valve size allows physicians to increase their research of the technology in patients whose anatomy requires a larger valve size.Made of bovine pericardial tissue, the Portico valve is attached to a self-expanding stent frame. It is the only approved transcatheter valve that can be completely resheathed (the process of bringing the valve back into the delivery catheter), repositioned at the implant site, or retrieved before being released from the delivery system. Transcatheter heart valves like Portico are used to treat patients with severe aortic stenosis. These patients often are too sick and have co-morbidities that prevent them from having conventional open-heart valve replacement surgery. The Portico valve helps to restore normal blood flow and provides an innovative and life-saving treatment option.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV