BNC375 Alzheimer's Disease Drug Candidate Presented At Neuroscience Conference
- BNC375 enhances episodic and working memory
- Performance matches Donepezil (US$2.5 billion sales in 2011) in animal tests
ADELAIDE, South Australia, Feb. 4, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Bionomics Limited (ASX:BNO) today announced that new data on BNC375, its drug candidate with potential for the treatment of memory loss in Alzheimers Disease, will be presented at the 33rd Annual Meeting of the Australian Neuroscience Society taking place in Melbourne from 3 – 6 February 2013 at the Melbourne Convention Centre.
BNC375, which is a positive allosteric modulator of the α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (α7 nAChR), will be the focus of Poster #143 which will be exhibited today Monday, 4 February 2013 from 12.30pm -2.30pm.
The poster highlights data demonstrating the in vivo memory enhancing properties of this drug candidate in two animal models of cognitive impairment as well as data on the action of BNC375 on the receptor. The animal model data indicates that BNC375 enhances both episodic memory and working memory and that it has equivalent performance compared to Donepezil, a Pfizer product marketed as Aricept with reported US$2.5 billion sales in 2011. BNC375 has a 100-fold therapeutic dose range, from 0.1 to 10 mg/kg and has demonstrated a wide therapeutic window in the preclinical studies conducted to date."BNC375 targets Alzheimer's disease and other conditions which are associated with significant memory loss," said Dr Deborah Rathjen, Bionomics' CEO and Managing Director. "This latest drug candidate to come from our technology platform conforms to Bionomics' focus on developing well differentiated drug candidates to treat serious conditions such as Alzheimer's disease, Schizophrenia and Parkinson's disease amongst others," she added. There is a large body of evidence implicating the α7 nAChR in the pathophysiology of several neurodegenerative and neuropsychiatric diseases. Modulation of this receptor enhances cognitive processes, for example working memory and attention, which are compromised in these disorders.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV