GE Healthcare’s work to accelerate cancer innovation and improve care for cancer patients reached new milestones in advanced technology.
The campaign is founded on GE Healthcare’s integrated portfolio, which is uniquely positioned to drive impact in oncology and a leap forward for individualized cancer care. GE Healthcare launched a series of new oncology technologies and systems to help advance cancer diagnostic and molecular imaging in 2012.
“At GE, we are committed to the ongoing fight against cancer, the leading cause of death worldwide,” said John Dineen, president and CEO, GE Healthcare. “I’m proud of the investment and innovations that we’ve made over the past year and look forward to working with our customers and partners to develop new technologies and oncology solutions. We fully support World Cancer Day on 4 February to highlight the determination of the international community to fight cancer.”
New Technologies to Help Improve Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- FlightPlan for Liver Cancer Liver cancer is the fifth most common cancer in men (523,000 cases p/y) and the seventh in women (226,000 cases p/y). To help physicians accurately identify vessels and block the blood supply to the tumor (liver embolization), a standard palliative treatment for liver cancer, GE Healthcare received U.S. FDA clearance in late 2012 for its advanced imaging tool, FlightPlan for Liver. With FlightPlan for Liver, available worldwide, physicians can gain confidence in identifying tumor-feeding vessels and be more selective when planning liver embolization.
- MR-Guided Focused Ultrasound Therapy for Bone Pain Palliation In October 2012, the U.S. FDA approved Insightec’s ExAblate MRI-guided focused ultrasound for treatment of painful bone metastases in patients who are not candidates for or refuse to undergo radiation treatment. InSightec’s ExAblate system is exclusively compatible with GE Healthcare’s normal and wide bore systems. It combines therapeutic acoustic ultrasound waves with continuous guidance and treatment monitoring by MRI. This unique combination of technologies is called Magnetic Resonance guided Focused Ultrasound Therapy (MRgFUS). Physicians use MRI to plan and guide therapy and monitor treatment outcome. Focused ultrasound acoustic energy destroys nerves causing pain from bone metastases, resulting in rapid pain reduction. GE Healthcare is a minority shareholder of InSightec, Ltd., and is a distributor of ExAblate in many countries around the world.
- GE Healthcare Acquires U-Systems, Inc GE Healthcare’s acquisition of a unique automated breast ultrasound imaging technology positions the company with a large portfolio of breast imaging solutions. The automated breast ultrasound system (ABUS) is a powerful tool that can help physicians find mammographically occult cancers hiding in dense breast tissue. According to published industry reports, over 40% of women in the U.S. with dense breast tissue are more likely to get breast cancer than those without dense breast tissue. Recent studies have demonstrated with the addition of ABUS that radiologists have found about 30 percent more cancers in women who have a normal mammogram, normal physical examination and dense breasts.
- Increasing patient comfort for mammography screenings Healthcare is personal – particularly for women undergoing mammograms. Designed to divert a women’s attention away from the discomfort associated with mammography screenings, SensorySuite from GE Healthcare, now commercially available, provides a customized environment involving sight, smell and hearing during an examination. Around 25% of women avoid mammograms because of worry and fear. SensorySuite now provides a blend of interactive tools, selected decorative wall panels, with associated sounds and fragrances to distract the patient from a potentially stressful examination.
- PET/CT in the fight against cancer GE Healthcare has launched new technologies in their ‘Q Suite’, enabling clinicians to minimize the impact and quickly address movement during a PET/CT scan, including thorax movement while the patient is breathing. These technologies help give clinicians diagnostic confidence while helping to minimize exposure to dose.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV