In pizza-producing corners of the country such as the Northeast or Chicagoland, Papa Murphy's is a mystery wrapped in an enigma packaged in plastic and cardboard.
"So they 'make' a pizza, but they don't cook it?" Right. "Isn't that just a supermarket pizza?" No, because you can customize it. "Can't you just get a plain supermarket pizza and some ingredients and 'customize' it?" Yes, but it's an extra step and you can't stuff it."I don't get it." We know, but the rest of the Papa Murphy's-eating country does and, last year, Nation's Restaurant News and Zagat rated it the No. 1 pizza chain in the country ahead of giants such as Domino's (DPZ), Papa John's (PZZA) and Yum Brands' (YUM) Pizza Hut. The year before, Consumer Reports readers also declared it the top pizza chain in the land. Papa Murphy's shows its love right back by offering Valentine's Day couples the HeartBaker, a heart-shaped pizza that just needs a few minutes at 425 degrees to become a warm and inviting romantic dinner. Diners only have to brave the masses to pick it up and don't have to wait for their assigned reservation time to dig in. This may not seem terribly romantic in "real" pizza towns east of the Mississippi, but neither is waiting an hour and a half for the delivery guy to show up with your pie because a million other couples in your densely packed metro area decided to order in too. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV