Passat sold 8,856 units in January, up 40% from the same month a year earlier, for its best January ever.
Passat trailed Jetta as the second best-selling U.S. car for Volkswagen, which saw January sales gain 6.7% to 29,018 units, marking its best January since 1974. The Jetta sedan sold 9,089 units.
"With all the buzz that comes with the (Detroit) Auto Show, the release of our Super Bowl advertisement, 'Get Happy,' and a full line-up of new and refreshed vehicles, Volkswagen is off to a solid start in 2013," said Jonathan Browning, CEO of Volkswagen Group of America, in a prepared statement. "While the economic conditions continue to be somewhat uncertain, we expect Volkswagen to achieve continued growth and to outpace the industry this year."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV