The good news for consumers is that most televisions get a 10% to 15% price dip in the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, according to price-tracking site Decide.com. The bad news is that they're just clearing last year's holdovers to make room for the toys that debuted at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas a month earlier and hit showrooms and online stores in March.
When post-holiday consumers do splurge for a TV, though, they go big. In past years during the two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, nearly 60% of TV spending was screens 46 inches or larger, according to the NPD Group. Even as TV fizzled 7% last year, consumers picked up 82% more TVs 55 inches and larger than they did in 2011.Prices on those bigger models are coming down by roughly $160, which NPD says is 10% lower than last year. Stores such as Target (TGT) and Super Bowl ad buyer Best Buy (BBY) have been running sales for much of the past week to decrease supplies. With the latter offering a 55-inch version of its in-house Insignia brand for $550, bargain-hunting buyers should feel free to spike their receipts right in the faces of the Black Friday line-sitting friends. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV