NEW YORK ( ETF Expert) -- If you look hard enough, you can find a whole lot of things that are wrong with the "B" in BRIC.
Brazil's GDP growth is virtually non-existent. Government regulatory intervention in both the energy sector as well as the financials segment has been increasing. Brazil's currency lost approximately 7% against the dollar on a year-over-year basis, hurting unhedged investment in the nation.
On the other hand, if India, China and Russia can find their way out of the emerging market bear cave, wouldn't there be reason for some optimism on Brazil?
The central bank there has cut rates 5.25% over the previous 15 months; assuredly, that stimulus should find its way into the economy as well as equity markets. What's more, the government has reduced taxes while investing in infrastructure for the upcoming games (i.e., 2014 World Cup, 2016 Olympics).Indeed, a Brazilian stock bull may soon override pervasive negativity. Consider the Brazilian currency via WisdomTree Dreyfus Brazilian Real (BZF). The "real" has been in a dreadful downtrend since July 2011. Yet, for the first time in more than three years, it appears BZF's 50-day trendline may cross above its 200-day trendline. Note: The bullish technical event is known as a "golden cross," and it represents the opposite of what iShares 20+ U.S. Treasury Bond (TLT) is
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV