News Summary: Dow Closes Above 14K, A Rare Event
By The Associated Press
THE WOW INDEX: The Dow closed above 14,000 on Friday, a level not seen since before the Great Recession. This also marks just the 10th time in its history that the Dow has closed above that mark.
MOM AND POP: The Dow Jones industrial average is a stock market index meant to be a gauge for the rest of the market. More small investors are getting back into stocks, which is helping drive the Dow's current gains.
THE OTHER ENGINES: Traders were encouraged by a few incremental signs of an improving economy. The unemployment rate rose but the government said that hiring over the past year had been better than previously thought. Auto sales jumped.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV