News Summary: Dow Closes Above 14K, A Rare Event
By The Associated Press
THE WOW INDEX: The Dow closed above 14,000 on Friday, a level not seen since before the Great Recession. This also marks just the 10th time in its history that the Dow has closed above that mark.
MOM AND POP: The Dow Jones industrial average is a stock market index meant to be a gauge for the rest of the market. More small investors are getting back into stocks, which is helping drive the Dow's current gains.
THE OTHER ENGINES: Traders were encouraged by a few incremental signs of an improving economy. The unemployment rate rose but the government said that hiring over the past year had been better than previously thought. Auto sales jumped.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV