Office Of Inspector General Export-Import Bank Of The United States Announces Capture And Seeks Information On Fugitives
WASHINGTON, Feb. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Office of Inspector General (OIG) for the Export-Import Bank of the United States (Ex-Im Bank) announced today that, pursuant to an ongoing joint investigation, one fugitive has been captured and extradited to the United States, and several federal fugitives continue to be sought in connection to a multi-million dollar export fraud scheme.
Federal Agents are currently seeking the location and arrest of eight (8) fugitives charged in the unsealed federal indictments, and who are believed to be residing in or near Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico. These fugitives are:
- Sergio Acosta-Camacho, a Mexican citizen and former owner of AML Construction;
- Pedro Ruvalcaba-Placencia, a Mexican citizen and owner of a business, Delicas Nuez, in Ciudad Juarez;
- Jorge Martinez-Joo, a Mexican citizen and former owner of El Paso-based exporter, El Paso Valcomar Inc.;
- Adrian Rascon-Chavez and his wife Genoveva Fontes de Rascon, both United States citizens and former owners of Juarez-based clinic Centro Oncologico de Norte SA;
- Maria de Jesus Ortiz-Saldivar, a Mexican citizen and the former accountant of Genoveva Fontes de Rascon;
- Jorge Valdez-Cota and his wife, Veronica Iglesias-Lucero, both Mexican citizens and owners of a metal fabrication shop in Ciudad Juarez; and
- Gilberto Ruiz-Gonzalez, a Mexican citizen, resident of Ciudad Juarez, and owner of Passage Supply.
Individuals with information concerning the location of the fugitives in question may call the Ex-Im Bank OIG Hotline at 1-888-OIG-EXIM (1-888-644-3946) or HSI Communications at 1- 407-975-1820 or 1-800- BE-ALERT (1-800-232-5378).The OIG investigations have found that the fugitives and several other defendants conspired to defraud Ex-Im Bank of millions of dollars through various loan schemes resulting in over $22 million in claims paid by Ex-Im Bank. These fugitives have been charged with a variety of federal criminal violations to include conspiracy, wire fraud, and money laundering. On January 25, 2013, Fugitive Manuel Ernesto Ortiz-Barraza (Ortiz) was extradited to the United States from Mexico as part of this ongoing investigation ( http://www.exim.gov/oig/upload/Ortize-Barraza-Extradition.pdf). As a result of the successful capture and extradition of Ortiz, investigators are currently attempting to locate and arrest eight (8) additional fugitives and co-conspirators of Ortiz charged as a result of the joint investigation related to trade financing fraud. Ex-Im Bank OIG, Immigration Customs Enforcement-Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, and Internal Revenue Service-Criminal Investigations in Washington, D.C. are conducting this joint investigation. HSI Special Agents in El Paso and Mexico are assisting Ex-Im Bank OIG agents to locate the fugitives through liaison efforts with Mexican law enforcement authorities. Ex- Im Bank, the official credit agency of the United States, is an independent executive agency that helps create and maintain U.S. jobs by filling gaps in private export financing at no cost to American taxpayers. Ex- Im Bank provides a variety of financing mechanisms, including working capital guarantees, export credit insurance, and financing to help foreign buyers purchase U.S. goods and services. Ex-Im Bank OIG is an independent office within Ex-Im Bank. The OIG receives and investigates complaints and information concerning violations of law, rules or regulations, fraud against Ex-Im Bank, mismanagement, waste of funds, and abuse of authority connected with Ex-Im Bank's programs and operations.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts