Prudential Real Estate Outlook Survey: Home Ownership Is Increasingly Important To Younger Americans
IRVINE, Calif., Feb. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Prudential Real Estate, an HSF Affiliates LLC company, today released its end-of-year Outlook Survey, which shows that Millennials and Generation X place a higher importance on and hold more favorable views toward homeownership than older generations. According to the national survey, confidence increased marginally among respondents with 73% at least somewhat confident in the recovering real estate market and property values as opposed to 72% in Q2.
Additionally, "Contemplators", survey participants who considered but did not buy/sell a property during the past year, displayed a 10% increase in confidence over Q2 figures for both the U.S. real estate market and home prices indicating they will likely keep their eye on the market.
"Millennials and Generation X – about 85 million people strong – face a unique opportunity in U.S. housing," said Earl Lee, chief executive officer at HSF Affiliates LLC and president of Prudential Real Estate. "They are generally optimistic about homeownership and, by nature, share a strong sense of community. As important, many were not impacted by the real estate downturn and are looking at today's buying opportunities with keen interest."
Key observations include:
- Home ownership remains important to 96% of Americans with 77% of respondents ages 25-34 and 78% ages 35-44 indicating home ownership is "very important." More so, 74% of respondents agree that with interest rates at historically low levels now is a great time to buy a home.
- Space, safety and investment drive the reasons to own a home, with 97% respondents stating that home ownership allows for more control over living space. Tax benefits finished a distant sixth on the survey's reasons for buying a home.
- 63% of Americans have a favorable or somewhat favorable perception of the U.S. residential real estate market and, again, younger generations are more likely to possess a favorable opinion when compared to their older counterparts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV