MILWAUKEE, Feb. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ManpowerGroup (NYSE: MAN), the world leader in innovative workforce solutions, says temporary workers, a significant component of a company's needed flexible work model, remain key to jolting and sustaining business growth, as the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics today reported that the overall January jobless rate was 7.9%, up from 7.8% in December 2012.
The U.S. private sector added 157,000 new jobs last month, while December's jobs figure was revised up to 196,000 from 155,000, and November increased to 247,000 from 161,000. In 2012, the economy added an average of 181,000 jobs a month. Employment in January increased in retail, construction, health care, and wholesale trade. At the same time, millions of Americans have been unemployed for years, labor force participation rates are at a 30-year low and the economic and social outcomes of long-term unemployment are gaining traction.
"Hiring talent on a temporary basis enables companies to assess and align the increasingly broad range of modern skills – and even discover new ones – that will give them a competitive edge in their industry," said Jeffrey A. Joerres, ManpowerGroup Chairman and CEO. "In turn, employed workers jolt broader economic growth, as they boost consumer spending and the housing market. And not only do they develop and implement the critical business strategies, but they start new enterprises that create more jobs."The science of harnessing cutting edge skills to drive business success is only starting to be realized by today's most progressive companies," Joerres added. "I am excited to see our clients reinforce their flexible work models in 2013, to enable them to respond to fluctuating demand and execute their business strategies." As uncertainty remains the norm of today's economy, companies will need to become increasing agile to drive change.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV