Big-box department store chain Kohl's (KSS) operates more than 1,127 locations spread across the country. The firm's focus is value, offering middle-income consumers well-known brand names at moderate prices. It should be no surprise, then, that Kohl's has enjoy some serious success in the last few years as cost-conscious shoppers rewarded value retailers with meaningful growth. Investors have gotten growth too, in the form of dividends: Kohl's initiated a dividend at the start of 2011, hiking it to 32 cents four quarters ago.
Now, though, this stock's 2.77% yield looks ready for a boost.>>5 Bargain Stocks to Play the Resurgent U.S. Consumer Kohl's isn't your typical department store. Unlike most of its peers, Kohl's doesn't typically anchor mall locations, cutting its overhead and helping the firm follow through on its cost focus. Another secret to the firm's success is product exclusivity. Around half of KSS' sales come from private labels or sub-brands that are exclusive to Kohl's. That, in turn, gives the firm bigger margins and more defensible profitability. Financially, Kohl's is in very good shape, with a manageable debt load and more than $1 billion in cash sitting on its balance sheet. That wherewithal should give management confidence in hiking the firm's payout this quarter. Keep an eye on earnings at the end of the month for the possible announcement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV