How To Do Your Taxes For Free
WASHINGTON, Feb. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- All taxpayers have a fast, safe and free option when it comes to doing their own federal taxes. It's called Free File, and it's available only at IRS.gov.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click:
Free File offers brand-name tax software to people who earned $57,000 or less last year, which is 70 percent of all taxpayers. For those who earned more, there are free online fillable forms.
Both options allow people to file returns electronically and use direct deposit, which is the fastest way get to a refund.Leading tax software companies have partnered with the IRS to make their products available for free. Each company sets its own eligibility criteria, generally based on income, state residency or age. There is also a software option that is available in Spanish for people who earned $30,000 or less. Free File does the hard work for taxpayers. The software asks the questions they need to answer, picks the right forms, does the math and helps them find the tax breaks they are due. All participating Free File partners have been vetted and use the latest in security technology. Some Free File software providers also offer state tax returns for free or for a fee. Free File Fillable Forms is the electronic version of IRS paper forms. It's best for people experienced and comfortable preparing their own returns on paper. It does not support state tax returns. More than 36 million people have used the program since its debut in 2003. You can explore your options at www.irs.gov/freefile.
SOURCE IRS Free File
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV