When A Penny Is Worth A Nickel
TORONTO, Feb. 1, 2013 /CNW/ - In 2012, the Federal Government announced that the penny would be phased out of circulation. The Home Depot Canada carefully reviewed the phase out requirements based on its values, associate input and consumer needs.
According to a recent poll commissioned by The Home Depot Canada, 88 per cent of Canadians don't know that the penny is being phased out of circulation on February 4, 2013 and 41 per cent don't know what retailers are doing to manage this change.
The Home Depot Canada wants its customers to know that after this date, anyone shopping at its stores using cash, will have their total rounded down to the nearest nickel. In addition, if a customer makes a cash return to the store, it will always round up to the nearest nickel. The Home Depot feels it's vital to continually meet the needs of its customers."The Home Depot Canada is passionate about customer service and lives by its core values, including doing the right thing," said Vinod Nalajala, Senior Director of Canadian Operations. "Always rounding down on sales and up on returns is one more way we are committed to delivering value to our Canadian consumers." Federal government guidelines for cash payments state businesses can round, either up or down, to the nearest five-cent increment. A recent Retail Council of Canada survey reports that more than 56 per cent of retailers plan on using the voluntary government guidelines. To prepare associates and customers for the change, The Home Depot Canada ran a number of pilots across the country in January. Full implementation across all 180 stores will begin on February 4, 2013. QUICK FACTS
- Seventy-five per cent of Canadians surveyed believe The Home Depot's policy is an approach to penny rounding that is fairer to the consumer.
- Non-cash payments such as debit or credit cards will continue to be settled to the cent.
- Some other countries that have dropped pennies from circulation include: Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Norway and Australia.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV