Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model.NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC) has been reiterated by TheStreet Ratings as a buy with a ratings score of B . The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Computers & Peripherals industry average. The net income increased by 3.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $605.65 million to $626.34 million.
- EMC's revenue growth trails the industry average of 17.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.0%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- EMC CORP/MA's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, EMC CORP/MA increased its bottom line by earning $1.10 versus $0.88 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.68 versus $1.10).
- The gross profit margin for EMC CORP/MA is rather high; currently it is at 69.60%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, EMC's net profit margin of 11.86% significantly trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,437.87 million or 11.77% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, EMC CORP/MA's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 34.08%.
--Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff.It's Official: Action Alerts PLUS beats the S&P 500 with Dividends Reinvested! Cramer and Link were up 16.72% in 2012. Were you? See what they are trading for 14-days FREE
Latest Headlines about EMC
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV