Dell, RIM, Facebook: Tech Premarket
Microsoft's response has been added to this story.
The No. 3 PC maker is nearing an agreement to sell itself to a buyout consortium led by CEO Michael Dell and private-equity firm Silver Lake Partners, according to Reuters.
The Dell chief is expected to take a majority ownership in the company, with Silver Lake and Microsoft becoming minority investors, according to Reuters, citing a person familiar with the deal.Dell and Microsoft declined to provide comment on this story when contacted by TheStreet. Shares of Dell climbed 5.74% to $14 before market open on Friday. The Round Rock, Texas-based firm was also the most active premarket Nasdaq stocks on share volume of 1,268,470. Microsoft (MSFT) gained 0.51% to reach $27.59. Research In Motion (RIMM), which unveiled its BlackBerry 10 technology earlier this week, was another gainer, climbing 2.31% to $13.28 on share volume of 462,699. Shares of the Canadian handset maker, which also changed its name to BlackBerry this week, ended Thursday's trading session flat at $12.98. Facebook (FB), which reported fourth-quarter results this week, crept up 0.32% to $31.08 on share volume of 502,082. The social network's partner Zynga (ZNGA) was also a premarket winner, rising 1.48% to $2.75. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV