Apple is said to be in negotiations with Time Warner (TWX) to start featuring the HBO Go application on Apple TVs by the middle of this year, according to Bloomberg. The HBO Go package would only be available to subscribers who already pay for HBO, but it would amp up Apple TV's offerings as the set-top box faces competition from Roku and Microsoft's Xbox, both of which already offer HBO Go.
Apple TV currently features nine outside apps, including Hulu Plus and Netflix. In the last two fiscal years, Apple has sold more than 7.8 million Apple TV devices. Apple TV streams content from online services or content that has been purchased off of iTunes.
Mattel (MAT) is trending as the toy company missed Wall Street's expectations for the fourth quarter holiday season. Mattel said net income for the quarter fell 17% to $306.5 million, or 87 cents a share, down from $370.6 million, or $1.07 a share, a year earlier. Excluding a charge, the company earned $1.12 a share, below analysts' estimates of $1.15 a share. Net sales rose 5% to $2.26 billion, below analysts' estimates of $2.29 billion. The company attributed weak demand for Barbie dolls and movie-themed dolls over the holidays to the lower-than-expected results. Sales of Barbie-related products fell 4% in the quarter, while sales in the company's entertainment business fell 13% on poor demand for "Cars 2" movie-themed products. Mattel raised its quarterly dividend to 36 cents a share, up from 31 cents in the previous year.
Grand Theft Auto V is another popular search. The hotly-anticipated follow-up to 2008's Grand Theft Auto IV video game will be released on Sept. 17. Rockstar Games, owned by Take-Two Interactive (TTWO), said the game will be available on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this fall, several months later than the original launch time frame of spring 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV