Again, this is another clear indicator of the lack of understanding about economics by many in Washington. Suppose the merger went through after all, and AB InBev increased beer prices 20%, not because of rising input prices, but rather because they think they can get away with it. Consumers still have choices in the beer market. They can still switch brands, give up drinking beer, or perhaps even make their own.
This is not life or death; but perhaps reflective of a Justice Department that's had its share of controversy over the past few years and is trying to remain relevant.
There was indeed fallout from Thursday's filing: AB Inbev fell nearly 6%, while Mexico's Grupo Modelo fell 6.5%. There was also some collateral damage, as Constellation Brands (STZ) fell 17%, the result of fear that the Department of Justice suit could hurt Constellation's efforts to acquire Modelo's stake in Crown Imports LLC, which is the U.S. importer for Corona.
Meanwhile, Boston Beer (SAM), a great success story, and one of the only survivors from the publicly traded micro brewery craze of the 1990's, had a relatively quiet day. Boston Beer is a testament to the fact that the small guy can still make it in the beer industry.At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV