PITTSBURGH, Feb. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The PNC Financial Services Group (NYSE: PNC) will present 21 events in February in 17 cities to celebrate the history of African-Americans, including local performances, concerts, exhibits and employee activities.
Some of the highlights include panel presentations by the Tuskegee Airmen, an exhibition featuring 90 paintings, sculptures, photographs, costumes, books and designs by a Tony Award winner and his wife and a discussion with the man considered the "Father of 2G Communications."
In recognition of Black History Month, PNC-sponsored programs and activities will be held across many of the communities it serves, including Atlanta, Baltimore, Birmingham, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis, Newark, N.J., Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, St. Louis, South Bend, Ind. and Washington, D.C.
"For PNC, diversity and inclusion is a business imperative," said Marsha Jones, chief diversity officer, PNC. "That's why we take pride in recognizing the many achievements of African-Americans to our nation and to society during Black History Month. Through these events, we hope to bring individuals, families, business and civic leaders and PNC employees together in celebration."Highlights of upcoming PNC events include:
- "America I Am" exhibition – a salute to local African-American contributions, with several activities planned at the Harvey B. Gantt Center in Charlotte.
- "Geoffrey & Carmen: A Memoir in Four Movements." An exhibition in Chicago featuring dozens of paintings, sculptures, photographs, costumes, books and designs of Tony Award winner Geoffrey Holder and his Black History Month Lifetime Achievement Award-winning wife, dancer/actress/choreographer Carmen DeLavallade.
- A series of information programs to support the "Women Hold Up Half the Sky" exhibit honoring women from around the globe who have changed their lives through education, economics and self-determination at Cincinnati's National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.
- Conversations with Dr. James Johnson on the contributions of African-Americans to North Carolina's economy, taking place in Raleigh.
- "Of Ebony Embers" explores the life and times of four African-Americans who helped shape the Harlem Renaissance, scheduled at the University of Baltimore's Vernon & Lucy Wright Theatre.
- A panel discussion in Washington, D.C. will share some of the untold stories and hidden treasures about the pivotal events that marked the nation's capital to coincide with the 150 th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation, the 50 th anniversary of the Civil Rights Movement and the March on Washington.
- A "Greatest Stories Never Told" event in Indianapolis featuring Jesse Russell, considered the "Father of 2G Communications," an inventor and one of the visionaries whose innovative perspectives profoundly influenced the wireless communications industry.
- "From Bach to the Blues," a musical journey at various locations in Newark, N.J., throughout the month.
- The legacy of Chuck Cooper, the first African-American drafted into the NBA, will be honored in Pittsburgh. A special Duquesne University basketball game and luncheon will recognize members of the Pittsburgh community for their contributions in leadership, diversity and community service.
- Two panel discussions in Philadelphia featuring members of the Tuskegee Airmen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV