By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Option traders have been extremely active in Phillips 66 (PSX) for months, and the bulls were back Thursday.
OptionMonster's monitoring programs detected heavy buying in the March 65 calls, with some 5,500 contracts trading against open interest of just 612 contracts. The first blocks priced for 90 cents, but premiums then climbed to $1 as the activity heated up.
Those calls have locked in a $65 entry price on the red-hot oil refiner for the next 1-1/2 months, no matter how high the stock goes. The trader stands to generate some nice leverage in the event of a continued rally, but the contracts can also become worthless if it doesn't move.Phillips 66 fell 0.31% to $60.57 Thursday but is up 85% since getting spun off from ConocoPhillips last May. It's been climbing along with other refiners as an improving economy draws investors to the energy sector. Profit also beat expectations when the company reported earnings on Wednesday. Total option volume was slightly above average in the name Thursday, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 4-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in PSX
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV