Hollywood Legend Dustin Hoffman Dishes On His Directorial Debut Quartet, Redefining Retirement And Living In The Present In The February/March Issue Of AARP The Magazine
Hollywood Legend Dustin Hoffman Dishes on His Directorial Debut Quartet, Redefining Retirement and Living in the Present in the February/March Issue of AARP The Magazine
WASHINGTON, Jan. 31, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Dustin Hoffman, one of the most celebrated actors of our time, opens up in the February/March issue of AARP The Magazine about stepping out of his comfort zone for his directorial debut Quartet, redefining retirement in Hollywood and how his latest film drove him to ponder how far he's come and how little he's changed. The Academy Award ® winner is also being recognized for his Breakthrough Achievement in directing by AARP The Magazine with a 2012 Movies for Grownups® award.
The following are excerpts from the February/March issue of AARP The Magazine cover story, available in homes today and online NOW at www.aarp.org/magazine.On his directorial film debut, Quartet: "An honest answer: I directed a play on Broadway. I blamed my own demons for waiting 35 years to do it again. Why did I fight it? Because it's a thrilling opportunity to be the one who holds the paintbrush." "As we were working on the film, I asked Billy Connolly [one of its stars], 'What's the movie about?' And he said, 'Don't die until you're dead.' I thought that nailed it." On what drew him to Quartet: "It's an affirmative movie but still reality. There's this cloud of mortality hovering over the characters and blinding them." On using real musicians ages 70-plus in Quartet: "Brilliant artists—and no one had rung their phone for 30 or more years. They showed up at 6 every morning and worked sometimes 14 hours a day without a whimper, with such dedication and joy. It infected all of us."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV