News Summary: Economy Competes With Obama Agenda
By The Associated Press
OLD PROBLEM: Just as President Barack Obama is pushing new initiatives on gun control and immigration, the sluggish economy is elbowing its way back in. Consumer confidence is falling, the economy is contracting and large automatic spending cuts loom, with uncertain consequences.
BIG ISSUES: Even the perception of an economic setback could weaken Obama's clout as he tries to put his imprint on immigration and gun violence.
JOBS REPORT: The January unemployment report is due Friday. The rate is expected to stay at the still-high 7.8 percent. Employment is critical to consumer confidence.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV